When it comes to indulging in delectable desserts that evoke a sense of nostalgia while satisfying the taste buds, few recipes can match the timeless charm of Brenda Gantt’s Orange Slice Cake.
This delightful treat is a testament to the fusion of flavors and the art of baking, resulting in a moist, citrus-infused masterpiece that has graced tables and gatherings for generations.
Let’s dive into the world of this mouthwatering dessert, exploring its history, ingredients, preparation, serving suggestions, and storage tips.
Table of Contents
A Slice of History: Brenda Gantt’s Legacy
Brenda Gantt, a renowned Southern cook and YouTube sensation is celebrated for her authentic and comforting recipes. Her Orange Slice Cake has become a staple, capturing the essence of Southern hospitality and culinary artistry.
The recipe’s origin is rooted in Brenda’s childhood memories and her passion for transforming simple ingredients into extraordinary creations.
How To Prepare Brenda Gantt Orange Slice Cake Recipe?
- Mixing bowls: For combining ingredients.
- Electric mixer: To cream butter and sugar.
- Measuring cups and spoons: For accurate ingredient measurements.
- Bundt cake pan: The iconic shape of this cake requires a Bundt pan.
- Parchment paper: To prevent sticking.
- Zester or grater: To extract orange zest.
- Citrus juicer: For fresh orange juice extraction.
For The Cake:
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- 1 cup of chopped candied orange slices
For The Orange Glaze:
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice
- Zest one orange
Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C). In a mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients.
Stir in the vanilla extract, chopped pecans, and chopped candied orange slices.
Grease and flour a Bundt cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper for easy release.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
While the cake bakes, prepare the orange glaze. In a saucepan, combine sugar, orange juice, and orange zest. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture thickens slightly.
Once the cake is baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, invert it onto a serving plate.
While the cake is still warm, pour the orange glaze over it, allowing it to soak in.
Nutritional Analysis Of Brenda Gantt Orange Slice Cake Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Note: Values are approximate and can vary due to natural variations in the ingredients.
Preparation Time and Serving Suggestions
The preparation time for Brenda Gantt’s Orange Slice Cake is approximately 30 minutes, excluding baking and cooling time.
This cake serves as a stunning centerpiece for various occasions, from family gatherings to potlucks and celebrations.
Serve it as a dessert after a hearty Southern meal or as an afternoon treat accompanied by a cup of tea or coffee.
Health Benefits: A Hint of Nutritional Goodness
While this cake is undeniably indulgent, the inclusion of fresh oranges and pecans adds a touch of nutritional value.
Oranges are rich in vitamin C, antioxidants, and dietary fiber. Pecans provide healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals, offering a small dose of goodness amidst the sweet extravagance.
Storing and Enjoying Beyond the Moment
- To savor the goodness of this Brenda Gantt Orange Slice Cake Recipe beyond the initial serving, follow these storage tips:
- Store the cake in an airtight container to maintain its moisture.
- Keep it at room temperature for a day or two, or refrigerate for extended freshness.
- For long-term storage, slice the cake, wrap individual slices in plastic wrap, and freeze.
Brenda Gantt’s Orange Slice Cake is a true testament to the magic of Southern baking traditions. Its blend of flavors, textures, and history make it a cherished dessert that brings joy to any occasion.
Whether you’re an experienced baker or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe offers a delightful and rewarding experience that will leave you with a cake to remember and a heart full of happiness.