Candied orange peel cookies are a delightful treat that combines the zesty tang of citrus with the sweet goodness of cookies. These cookies are perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth while enjoying a citrus flavor.
In this article, we will share a delicious candied orange peel cookies recipe, list the necessary equipment and ingredients, provide step-by-step instructions, explore their potential health benefits, suggest serving ideas, and offer tips for storing your delectable creations.
Table of Contents
How To Make Candied Orange Peel Cookies Recipe?
- Mixing bowls (large and medium-sized)
- Electric mixer or a hand whisk
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mats
- Cookie scoops or spoons
- Zester or grater
- Cooling rack
For the Candied Orange Peel:
- Two large oranges (organic, if possible)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
For the Cookie Dough:
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- One large egg
- Two teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Candied orange peel (finely chopped)
Candied Orange Peel Preparation:
1. Wash the oranges thoroughly and slice off the tops and bottoms.
2. Cut the oranges into quarters, then carefully remove the fruit segments, leaving just the peel.
3. Slice the orange peel into thin strips. In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil.
4. Add the orange peel strips to the boiling syrup and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the peel becomes translucent.
5. Remove the candied orange peel from the syrup and cool on a wire rack.
6. Once cooled, finely chop the candied orange peel.
Cookie Dough Preparation:
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until well combined. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate medium-sized bowl.
3. Gradually add the dry and wet ingredients, mixing until a dough forms.
4. Gently fold in the finely chopped candied orange peel. Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a log.
5. Wrap the dough logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm.
6. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
7. Place the chilled dough logs into 1/4-inch thick rounds on the prepared baking sheets.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack before serving.
Nutrition Facts On Candied Orange Peel Cookies Recipe
Amount Per Serving
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Note: Values are approximate and can vary due to natural variations in the ingredients.
While candied orange peel cookies are a delightful indulgence, they offer potential health benefits. Oranges are rich in vitamin C, essential for a healthy immune system, and contain antioxidants that can help protect against free radical damage. However, enjoying these cookies in moderation is necessary due to their sugar and calorie content.
Candied orange peel cookies are a versatile treat. You can enjoy them with tea or coffee, as a dessert after dinner, or as a snack anytime. Consider pairing them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra special treat.
To keep your candied orange peel cookies fresh and delicious, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. You can also freeze the cookies for extended storage, ensuring they are well-wrapped to prevent freezer burn.
How long do candied orange peels last?
A jar of candied orange peels will last up to one week if stored properly. Keep a sealed container as it is air-tight and away from sunlight. If kept in the refrigerator, it will last for a month.
Is candied orange peel healthy?
Candied orange peels are rich in vitamin C and dietary fiber, making them a healthy snack. It also contains low calories and is therefore beneficial to people with diabetes.
How do you soften candied orange peel?
Orange marmalade is made from orange peels and sugar. You can soften candied orange peel by heating on low-medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the peel becomes soft.
What can I make from orange peels?
Candied orange peels are very versatile. You can make any food that requires orange peels, including candied orange peel cookies.
The next time you feel a craving for sweet and savory flavors at the same time, try this candied orange peel cookie recipe!
Candied orange peel cookies are a delightful combination of sweet and tangy flavors that will surely please your taste buds. You can create these delicious cookies at home with a few simple ingredients and a little preparation.
Enjoy these treats’ excellent taste and potential health benefits while exploring different serving options and storing them for future enjoyment. Happy baking!