If you’re a fan of delicious desserts and the rich heritage of Irish cuisine, Downey’s Irish Whiskey Cake is a must-try treat that seamlessly marries these two passions.
This sumptuous cake combines the warmth of Irish whiskey with an array of flavorful ingredients, resulting in a dessert that’s as comforting as indulgent.
Whether you’re planning a special occasion or want to savor the taste of Ireland, this recipe will undoubtedly leave a lasting impression on your taste buds.
Table of Contents
How To Make Downey’s Irish Whiskey Cake Recipe?
- Mixing bowls (large and medium)
- Electric mixer
- Wooden spoon
- Bundt cake pan
- Parchment paper
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup Irish whiskey (such as Jameson)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C) and grease a bundt cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper for easy removal.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Cream the softened butter and granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs to the butter-sugar mixture one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Mix until just combined.
Stir in the Irish whiskey, vanilla extract, lemon, and orange zest. The whiskey adds a distinctive depth of flavor to the cake.
Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Approximately 20 minutes for preparation
- 50-60 minutes for baking
- Cooling time varies
Nutritional Information Of Downey’s Irish Whiskey Cake Recipe
Note: Nutritional facts can vary based on the specific ingredients used.
Serving and Storing Ideas
1. Serve slices of this cake with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream to balance the sweetness.
2. Garnish with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and a twist of lemon or orange zest for an elegant touch.
3. Pair with a warm cup of Irish coffee or a glass of Irish whiskey for an authentic experience.
4. To store the cake, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container. It can be stored at room temperature for a few days or in the refrigerator for longer shelf life.
1. Can I substitute Irish whiskey with another type of alcohol?
While Irish whiskey is traditional and imparts a distinct flavor, you can experiment with other spirits like bourbon or rum for a different twist on the recipe.
2. Can I make this cake without alcohol?
Yes, you can omit the whiskey if you prefer a non-alcoholic version. You might want to increase the buttermilk slightly to maintain the cake’s moisture.
3. Can I freeze the cake?
Yes, you can freeze the cake. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil before placing it in the freezer. Thaw it in the refrigerator before serving.
4. Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour?
Using whole wheat flour will produce a denser texture and slightly nuttier flavor. If desired, you can substitute a portion of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour.
Downey’s Irish Whiskey Cake is a delightful dessert combining Ireland’s charm and indulgence. With its rich blend of flavors and heritage-inspired ingredients, this cake is perfect for celebrating special occasions or enjoying the warmth of Irish tradition.
Whether you’re a baking enthusiast or looking to savor a unique treat, this recipe is a must-add to your culinary repertoire.