There’s something utterly delightful about the combination of buttery richness and zesty citrus flavor that makes lemon shortbread cookies an irresistible treat.
With their melt-in-your-mouth texture and refreshing taste, these cookies are a must-have in any baker’s repertoire.
Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just starting this lemon shortbread cookie recipe is sure to bring a burst of sunshine to your kitchen.
Table of Contents
Preparation Method of Lemon Shortbread Cookies Recipe
- Mixing bowls (2)
- Electric mixer or hand mixer
- Wooden spoon
- Zester or fine grater
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Plastic wrap or parchment paper
- Rolling pin
- Cookie cutters (optional, for shaping)
- Baking sheet(s)
- Cooling rack
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
1. In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice to the butter-sugar mixture. Mix well to incorporate the citrus flavors evenly.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour and salt.
4. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring until the dough comes together. Be careful not to overmix.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape it into a disk. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap or parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Chilling the dough helps it firm up and makes it easier to handle.
6. Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the chilled dough on a floured surface to about 1/4-inch thickness.
7. Cut out cookies using your preferred cookie cutters or simply slice the dough into squares or rectangles.
8. Place the cut-out cookies onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving a bit of space between each cookie.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are lightly golden.
10. Once baked, transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and let them cool completely before handling. If desired, dust the cooled cookies with powdered sugar for an extra touch of sweetness and presentation.
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Chilling: 30 minutes
- Baking: 12-15 minutes
- Cooling: 20 minutes
Nutrition Facts On Lemon Shortbread Cookies Recipe
Amount Per Serving
|Total Fat||4.9 g|
While these cookies are undoubtedly a treat, the addition of fresh lemon zest and juice offers a dose of vitamin C and antioxidants. Moderation is key, as they are still a butter-rich dessert option.
- Enjoy these lemon shortbread cookies as an afternoon snack with a cup of tea or coffee.
- Create a delightful dessert by serving the cookies alongside a scoop of lemon sorbet or vanilla ice cream.
- Make cookie sandwiches by spreading a layer of lemon curd or raspberry jam between two cookies.
- To keep your lemon shortbread cookies fresh and flavorful:
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- For longer storage, freeze the baked cookies in a single layer, then transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag. They can be frozen for up to 2-3 months.
What is the difference between a butter cookie and a shortbread cookie?
Shortbread cookies are usually made with only butter and sugar. Butter cookies typically have flour and leavening agents, like baking soda or baking powder.
Is butter or margarine better for shortbread?
Margarine works well in shortbread cookies because it produces a lighter texture. Butter is excellent for shortbread cookies because it adds richness and a light texture.
Should shortbread be crunchy or soft?
Soft shortbread is easier to make and handle than crunchy shortbread. So if you like soft cookies, go for it.
Should shortbread be chilled before baking?
Many shortbread cookies are baked straight from the refrigerator, but you can make them with chilled dough and bake them if you want.
This lemon shortbread cookie recipe is a fantastic way to bring a burst of citrusy joy to your baking endeavors.
With their delicate texture and tangy flavor, these cookies are perfect for special occasions, tea parties, or simply indulging your sweet tooth.