When summer arrives, so do the vibrant and juicy fruits that add a burst of flavor to our culinary creations. Among these seasonal treasures, raspberries stand out with their exquisite blend of sweetness and tartness.
What better way to celebrate their arrival than with a delightful Summer Raspberry Cake? This cake not only showcases the delectable taste of raspberries but also captures the essence of the warm and sunny season.
Table of Contents
How To Prepare Summer Raspberry Cake Recipe?
Before diving into the recipe, ensure you have the following equipment on hand:
- Mixing bowls (various sizes)
- Electric mixer or handheld whisk
- 9-inch round cake pan
- Parchment paper
- Cooling rack
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
For The Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups fresh raspberries
For The Raspberry Glaze:
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper for easy removal.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a larger bowl, cream the softened butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy.
4. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
6. Gently fold in the fresh raspberries, being careful not to overmix and crush the berries.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Once baked, let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer it to a cooling rack to cool completely.
10. While the cake is cooling, prepare the raspberry glaze. In a blender or food processor, blend the raspberries until smooth. Strain the mixture to remove the seeds.
11. In a bowl, whisk together the raspberry puree, powdered sugar, and lemon juice until you have a smooth glaze.
12. Once the cake is completely cool, drizzle the raspberry glaze over the top.
Preparation Time: Approximately 20 minutes
Baking Time: Approximately 40-45 minutes
Total Time: Approximately 1 hour and 5 minutes
Nutrition Facts On Summer Raspberry Cake Recipe
Note: Values are approximate and can vary due to natural variations in the ingredients.
1. Raspberries are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and fiber, contributing to better digestion and a strengthened immune system.
2. Buttermilk provides probiotics and is a good source of calcium and protein.
3. The cake uses less sugar in the glaze, making it a lighter option.
Serve slices of the Summer Raspberry Cake with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The cool contrast will enhance the cake’s flavors and provide a satisfying dessert experience.
- Store the cake at room temperature for up to 2 days, covered with plastic wrap, or in an airtight container.
- For longer storage, refrigerate the cake for up to 5 days. Bring it to room temperature before serving.
Can I use frozen raspberries for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen raspberries, but make sure to thaw and drain them before incorporating them into the batter.
Can I substitute buttermilk with regular milk?
While buttermilk adds a tangy flavor and tenderness to the cake, you can create a substitute by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup of milk and letting it sit for a few minutes.
Can I make the glaze ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can prepare the glaze and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Give it a good whisk before drizzling it over the cake.
How do you add frozen raspberries to the cake mix?
Freezing raspberries in place of fresh ones will ensure that you get the most heat out of every serving. The frosting spreads more smoothly when adding frozen raspberries to a cake mixture.
By freezing raspberries and thawing them before spreading them on your cake, you eliminate the risk of lumps and clumps of fruit during the frosting process.
Can you freeze a cake with raspberries in it?
Freezing cakes that contain raspberries is a great way to enjoy the delicious fruit throughout the year. To ensure that you do not defrost your cake with raspberries before it has been baked, wrap it in aluminum foil while it is still in its baking pan. A frozen cake can be stored in its baking pan and then thawed before putting on the frosting.
Can I add fresh raspberries to the cake batter?
You can add fresh raspberries to cake batter, but the most effective way to add them is to freeze them. Thaw and then let them sit in a strainer or colander until they are at room temperature before you choose to use them in your cake.
The Summer Raspberry Cake is a delightful way to celebrate the season’s bounty. Its combination of fluffy cake, juicy raspberries, and tangy glaze creates a harmonious symphony of flavors.
Whether enjoyed with family or shared at a gathering, this cake is sure to become a summer favorite that captures the essence of the sunniest season.